Year 1&2 Blackbirds
Please click on any of the below to view the class curriculum.
Click here for: Curriculum Overview 2019-2020
Spring Term 2 2020:
Second Half Term Curriculum Overview-What a Wonderful World
Year 1 and 2 Spring Term 2020 Geography Knowledge Organiser - The 7 Continents
Year 1 and 2 Spring Term 2020 Science Knowledge Organiser-Our Body and Our Senses
Year 1 and 2 Spring Term 2020 Computing Knowledge Organiser - Making Music
Spring Term 1 2020
History and Geography Knowledge Organiser: Polar Regions
Early Reading Scheme:
Children in EYFS and Key Stage One read phonically decodable books aligned to our phonics programme: Read Write Inc.
Collins Big Cat Phonics for Letters and Sounds (fiction and non-fiction)
Oxford Reading Tree's Floppy Phonics
Project X Phonics
Bug Club - Comics for Phonics
These phonically decodable books are available up to Orange band / Phase 5 of Letters and Sounds. After this, the children move onto the library reading scheme colour banded books.
Viscount Beaumont's C.E. Primary School uses the Read Write Inc. Phonics approach.
The Read Write Inc. Phonics approach teaches children to read sets of sounds and then blend them to read words. The books that they read at school will only contain the sounds they’ve already learned, so children learn quickly and confidently.
First your child will learn to read:
- Set 1 Speed Sounds (sounds written with one letter): m a s d t i n p g o c k u b f e l h r j v y w z x and sounds written with two letters (your child will call these ‘special friends’): sh th ch qu ng nk ck
- Words containing these sounds, by sound-blending, e.g. m–a–t mat, c–a–t cat, g–o–t got, f–i–sh fish, s–p–o–t spot, b–e–s–t best, s–p–l–a–sh splash
- Set 2 Speed Sounds: ai ee igh oa oo oo ar or air ir ou oy
- Words containing these sounds
- Set 3 Speed Sounds: ea oi a–e i–e o–e u–e aw are ur er ow (as in brown) ay ow (as in snow) er ire ear ure
In the early stages of learning to read, help your child to learn the sounds represented by the letters (e.g. mmmm), rather than the letter names (e.g. em). This will help them when they start blending sounds together to read words.
There are lots of ways you can help your child learn with Read Write Inc. Phonics at home. Watch the Read Write Inc. Phonics videos to find out more.
Please contact the school if you require any more information about our school curriculum.