Viscount Beaumont’s School Council – elected members and their role:
Each class is represented on Viscount Beaumont’s School Council. Members are elected in September by their classmates and meet regularly (roughly every two weeks). They take the views of their classmates to the School Council, sharing ideas and making suggestions for change, they also report Council decisions back to their class. Each year, the School Council members involve themselves in lots of other activities and areas of school life.
In the past few years, Viscount Beaumont’s School Councillors have:
* helped to decide what after-school and lunchtime clubs should be run;
* requested and gained more seating on the playground for children at break times;
* decided on rotas for the Peace Garden and the school’s set of kindles;
* met and interviewed the local Member of Parliament;
* had involvement in establishing links with a Leicester City school to help our understanding and appreciation of different backgrounds, traditions, religious education and cultures;
* planted trees to improve the school grounds;
* requested and gained cushions to make the library a more comfortable place to read;
* chosen equipment for use at playtimes;
* organised money-raising events for Children in Need;
* decided upon themes for Christmas parties;
* had involvement in welcoming visitors and showing them around the school;
* held competitions for the school e.g. an Easter Egg Orienteering event.